Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gift Ideas for your Valentine

B and I don't really do Valentine's Day.

It sounds bad, but he isn't anti-romance, just not into being romantic on demand. I get that and I'm fine with it. We make a point to celebrate a bit later when the roses and chocolates and dinner reservation frenzy has died down.

But that doesn't mean I don't think about what I'd like to give him to show him he's my favorite. So I thought I'd share some ideas for those who may have an impending holiday to celebrate with their guys. No judgement here. I'm pro-love!


"I love you more than all the stars."
 I think lots of guys (and gals) like maps, but there's something a little sweeter about this map of constellations. I recently bought one like this showing the specific constellations that are visible in October, when our anniversary is. That's romantic, right? And if the Ebay sellers are to be believed, these things are from the 19th century which feels extra fancy.

"You make my heart soar."
If your guy is a kid at heart, he will enjoy this.

"You've captured my heart." 
For an budding photographer (who doesn't want to bring his real camera everywhere), this little accessory would allow him to take some cool shots on the fly.

“Our lives were just beginning, our favorite moment was right now, our favorite songs were unwritten.” (from Love is a Mix Tape, by Rob Sheffield, which is full of other great lines.)
Sure, cassettes are impractical these days, but the experience of picking out a collection of songs for someone never goes out of style. This ingeniously packaged USB drive would be just the way to do it.


"I adore your creative spirit." 
B essentially picked this out. It essentially lets you turn anything into a game controller. Pretty much the coolest thing ever if your guy likes to tinker. I kinda want it too.

"You rock."
This book of beautifully designed concert posters may appeal to your guy's eye for design as well as his inner music geek. We have two of the posters in our house and I adore them.

"Love is friendship set on fire."
Guys like to receive chocolate too! These delicious chocolates come with built-in sweet sayings so you don't even have to pick up a card.

"You are the gin to my tonic."
For B, it's all about the gin and tonic. Why not pick out a top shelf version of your guy's go to drink? I love the way this trio of gins looks, but if your man isn't much of a drinker, you could do the same with whatever he digs. Hot sauce, for example?

"I mustache you to be my valentine."
With mustache paraphernalia and old-timey shave kits being all the rage right now, I think treating your dude to a proper trim and shave would be a nice surprise. I think it would be like a manly spa day. But maybe don't say it that way when you tell him what it is. (If you're in Oakland, try this place.) photo from here

"If music be the food of love, play on."
This good looking Ipod dock amplifies using only physics. Perfect for a minimalist. Or a camper. Or a music lover. Pretty much anyone. (A similar one can be seen here or you can even try your hand at DIYing a speaker with this tutorial.)

No comments:

Post a Comment