Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dude, that's a lot of vegetables.



This is totally how I feel right now.

We've been receiving produce from a CSA for about a year and half now and I love it. We've tried new produce we'd never tried before. We've eaten seasonally and it's all organic. And maybe best of all, we've gotten creative about making sure to plan our cooking around what's left in the fridge.

Things were going great until there was a new CSA offering two whole deliveries for free with no commitment. How could I pass that up?!

So I put CSA #1 on hold for a couple weeks. And it turned out I liked CSA #2, especially because they offered add-ons like local cheese, honey, and bread.

I should have just cancelled CSA #1 at that point, but unfortunately they didn't have an option to cancel by email and for some reason I only ever remembered this at times outside of business hours. (Isn't that always how it is?) I just kept going online to remove a single delivery at a time. It was kind of dumb, but it solved the problem.

Until it didn't.

I totally forgot to remove the delivery for yesterday! And we received a box from CSA #2 on Monday. So now we're drowning in fresh produce. AND we're going to be away for several days next week.

I tried to turn it into a positive. Make lemonade from the lemons, if you will. (Ooh, good way to use up the lemons.) I challenged B and myself to eat ALL THE PRODUCE in the next week.

So here's what we've got:
  • 3 heads of lettuce
  • 12 heirloom tomatos
  • 1 bunch of celery
  • 1 pound of green beans
  • 4 potatoes
  • 2 zucchinis
  • 1 cucumber
  • 6 small sweet potatoes
  • 2 heads of broccoli
  • 6 peaches
  • 4 pluots
  • 6 plums
  • 1 GIANT canteloupe
  • 2 red onions
  • 2 lemons
  • 3 heads of garlic
  • 8 carrots
  • 5 avocados

Did I mention that there are just two of us??

Wish us luck! I will post an update with how we packed it all away! My first thought is that I should freeze whatever is freezable, or prepare and freeze recipes with some of these things in 'em.

NO VEGGIES LEFT BEHIND!

image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment