If you've ever tried the popular boxed brownie mixes that require only yoghurt, you know what a magical combination yoghurt and baking can be. It was with this in mind that I created this recipe using deliciously rich and creamy Mountain High Yoghurt.
I wanted to take the great texture that yogurt adds to brownies and try it in a new flavor combination. Almonds and raspberries are a perfect duo. What's wonderful about these bars is that they do not have any butter or oil in them and the flavor and texture does not suffer one bit!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almond (chopped or ground coarse)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup Plain Mountain High Yoghurt (you can use non-fat, low-fat, or original)
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop or crush slivered almonds.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and almond.
- Mix in sugar, brown sugar, egg whites, and extract.
- Mix in yoghurt.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish
- Spoon jam into 3 parallel lines across the surface of the batter.
- Run a knife gently through the batter in jam, perpendicular to the direction of the jam lines.
- Do this in alternating directions, across the surface of the batter to create the pattern.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until center is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
While both "Yoghurt" and "Yogurt" can be found in the dictionary, “Yoghurt” is more similar to how the word is spelled in many European countries. Since it was first produced back in the 1970s, Mountain High Yoghurt has been made the Old World way (it slowly turns into yoghurt while sitting in the cup) so the founders spelled yoghurt with an “h.” Today they consider the “h” to stand for healthy lifestyle or for the hundreds of ways you can use Mountain High Yoghurt to add nutrition to any recipe or meal!
If you'd like to see more great ways to use Mountain High Yoghurt to simplify and improve your favorite recipes, and coupons so you can try it for yourself, check them out here:
These Many thanks to Mountain High Yoghurt for sponsoring today’s story.